STRENGTHENING THE ECONOMY & LOWERING TAXES
As a former small business owner for many years, I know that excessive taxes and over-regulation prevent small businesses from creating jobs. For years, small business owners have pleaded with Congress to reduce federal regulation and reform the Tax Code to unleash the power of our private sector economy; they were right – of course. The passage of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act helped to jump-start an economy that had remained stagnant during the Obama Administration. Today, more people are working, wages are increasing, and retirement accounts are growing! The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act also cut taxes for every tax bracket, doubled the standard deduction, expanded tax benefits for middle class families and eliminated special interest loopholes.
Another barrier to a strong economy is over-regulation. Since being elected to Congress, I’ve continued the fight to block excessive government regulations that make it harder for small businesses to grow and plan for the future. Government regulations cost the average American family more than $15,000 each year. Thankfully, President Trump made this a priority in his Administration, and the positive impact of these changes on the economy are growing every day. Still, more needs to be done.
REFORMING HEALTH CARE FOR EVERYONE
The Affordable Care Act (ACA) was supposed to reduce healthcare costs and provide greater healthcare options; it failed. Everyone should have access to affordable health insurance, which is why I supported repealing of the ACA and replacing it with a healthcare system that covers pre-existing conditions, reduces the cost of prescription drugs and allows individuals and their doctors to make healthcare decisions, not insurance companies and the government. I support or sponsored / co-sponsored:
- Protecting Pre-Existing Conditions, and making it illegal for insurance companies to increase premiums or deny coverage for a pre-existing condition;
- Lowering the Cost of Prescription Drugs and ending “surprise medical bills” by forcing drug company rebates to go to the consumer, not the insurance companies;
- Right To Try legislation that allows people suffering from terminal illness the chance to try potentially lifesaving treatments;
- Providing Healthcare for Women and Families by providing funding for health centers that provide critical services such as mammograms, cervical and breast cancer screenings, and prenatal and postpartum care; and
- “Charlotte’s Web Medical Access Act,” my bill to ensure that children and individuals with epilepsy and other seizure disorders have access to life-changing Cannabidiol (CBD) Oil, without forcing families to split up / move to another state for access.
PRESERVING MEDICARE AND SOCIAL SECURITY
Social Security and Medicare are benefits earned by Senior Citizens during their lifetimes. We must keep our promise to our Seniors, and I’ve tirelessly supported preserving and protecting our Medicare and Social Security. I believe strongly in:
- Protecting Social Security by supporting reforms that do not touch benefits for low income and middle-class Seniors. Many Central Pennsylvania Seniors, like my ow mom, rely upon Social Security as a primary source of income. I’m committed to protecting the benefits that they’ve earned, and protecting Social Security for them and future generations; and
- Preserving Medicare by joining a bi-partisan effort to protect the Medicare Advantage Program, which provides coverage for 20 million Americans. At a time when radical socialists are calling for “Medicare for All” (which is actually “Medicare for None”) and socialized government healthcare, we must stand up for our Seniors and the benefits they’ve earned.
FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY & GOVERNMENT REFORM
Our National debt has skyrocketed to over $20 trillion, and it’s unsustainable. The lack of leadership on both sides of the aisle threatens our economic stability and the long-term growth of our economy. We must stop spending money we don’t have. I’ve supported many efforts to responsibly reduce spending, balance the federal budget and make government more accountable to hard-working American taxpayers. I’ve:
- Sponsored a Balanced Budget Amendment to the U.S. Constitution to balance the budget within 10 years, rein in spending and right-size the federal government without raising taxes;
- Sponsored legislation to make government more transparent and accountable by opening government checkbooks to reveal exactly where and how tax dollars are spent;
- Blocked the Congressional Pay Raise by offering amendments to the Budget to stop Speaker Pelosi and leadership from sneaking in a $4,500 pay raise for Members of Congress. I was proud to stand with Members from both parties to saying “NO” to a pay raise; and
- “No Budget, No Pay” legislation that withholds the salaries of Members of Congress if they’re unable to pass a budget. If Members are unable to carry out one of their basic duties of governing, then they shouldn’t get paid.
INFRASTRUCTURE & TRANSPORTATION
One of the core functions of government is to maintain a safe, secure and efficient transportation infrastructure system to support interstate commerce and strengthen America’s competitive edge in the global economy. I’ve continued to support bills to strengthen our roads, bridges, airports, sea ports and other infrastructure projects, all of which are critical to growing our economy and creating jobs.
PROTECTING YOUR SECOND AMENDMENT RIGHTS
The Second Amendment is a Constitutional right guaranteed to all American citizens, and I fully support it. Like all the rights granted to our citizens by the U.S. Constitution, we must be extremely vigilant when anyone seeks to limit those freedoms and/or erode our civil liberties.
I’m strongly Pro-Life. All life, born and unborn, is sacred and must be defended. I supported efforts in Congress to protect the rights of the unborn, block taxpayer funding for abortion, and defund Planned Parenthood while shifting its funding to local health clinics.
SUPPORTING OUR VETERANS
We all owe a huge debt of gratitude to our Nation’s bravest – the men and women in uniform who serve(d) our Nation and put their lives on the line in defense of our safety, security, freedom and liberty. Our Service Members deserve every effort possible to honor their service. I’m a member of various military caucuses in Congress, and supported legislation to reform and make our Veterans Administration more accountable, give Veterans more healthcare options and greater education benefits, and help post-9/11 Veterans transition to civilian life.